Laking, Guy Francis - ZBROEZNAVdotCOM

Laking, Guy Francis

Laking, Guy Francis
Great Britain

Sir Guy Francis Laking, 2nd Baronet, MVO (21 October 1875 – 22 November 1919 London) was an English art historian and the first keeper of the London Museum from before its opening until his death.

Laking was born in 1875, the only son of King Edward VII’s Physician in Ordinary Sir Francis Laking (created a Baronet in 1902), by his wife Emma Ann Mansell. He was educated at Westminster School, and showed an interest in armour from an early age, as is apparent from his essay The Sword of Joan of Arc, written when 10 years old. In 1891 he met the Baron de Cosson, then considered the foremost expert on arms and armour, an acquaintance that was influential to his career. Later he joined Christie’s as an art advisor; his first work was the sales catalogue of the Zschille collection, sold in January 1897. He then compiled catalogues for the Gurney, Spiller, Breadalbane, Kennedy and North collections of arms and armour. In 1900 he was invited by the Governor of Malta, Lord Grenfell, to catalogue the antiquities there, the result was the book The Armoury of The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. In December 1901 he was appointed a Member (fourth class) of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO), and in January 1902 King Edward VII created the post of Keeper of the King’s Armoury at Windsor for him. Besides, he was Inspector of the Armoury at the Wallace Collection, and in 1911 became the first Keeper of the London Museum, where he was tasked with acquiring, cataloguing and arranging the collection. He lived in London, on Avenue Road, in his house Meyrick Lodge named after Samuel Meyrick, the founder of English armour studies. He was a Vice President of the Meyrick Society, founded by collectors and historians of arms and armour. He died from a heart attack.



  • The Sword of Joan of Arc (1885)
  • The Armoury of The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem (1902)
  • The Armoury of Windsor Castle: European Section (1904)
  • The Furniture of Windsor Castle (1905)
  • The Sèvres Porcelain of Buckingham Palace (1907)
  • Catalogue of the European Armour and Arms in the Wallace Collection at Hertford House (1910)
  • A Record of European Armour and Arms through Seven Centuries: 6 Volumes (1920-1925)

Залишити відповідь

Залишити відповідь

дослідження зброї, експертиза історичної зброї, экспертиза антикварного оружия, історія зброї, History of Arms and Armour, Тоїчкін, Тоичкин, Toichkin, CAAS, Center of Arms and Armor Studies, Antique arms, наукові конференції, атрибуція зброї, атрибуция оружия, attribution of weapons, оружейные клейма, оружейная библиотека, електронна бібліотека, історія зброї